CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Alfred Had It Right

It is time for a confession. When I was a kid ... I did not exactly set the world of "little league baseball" on fire. I was the first baseman for the team. As such it fell upon me to catch any ball hit my way or thrown my way. If it was thrown to me I knew there must be a guy running in my direction down the first base line. If I caught the ball and tagged the base before he ran over it he was out. If he got there first he was safe. That's a pretty important job. And this one guy always stood near me. He was known as "The Umpire." His job was to decide who got to the base first so that he could call the batter "safe" or "out." He also watched to make certain that the runner stayed in the base line during his run. If he stepped out of the prescribed area he was automatically out. So the base line was important. If you want to win you have to stay in the base line.

There is another kind of base line that is important as well. I go to my doctor for a check-up every year. He pokes me. He prods me. He puts his fingers where God never intended fingers to be put. He looks up my nose, in my ears, and deep into my eyes. He takes my temperature, checks my pulse and knocks me on the knee with a nasty little rubber mallet. He makes me pee in a cup. And then he asks me if I have eaten yet today and if I have not he sticks a needle into my arm and takes some blood. I suppose he checks the blood to make sure it's still red and wet. Or maybe he's looking for a rare disease. Probably he checks my cholesterol and stuff like that. The reason he wants to be sure I have not eaten is because food would throw off the results. You see, when you have not eaten your blood evidently assumes its natural level of ... of ... of whatever it is in your blood that levels off. And that is what is also called your baseline.

With this kind of baseline you find out what the normal level of a given situation is. That way if you check the levels later (of what ever you are checking) and it deviates from the baseline you know you have a problem.

This is where it gets good. Sit down and shut up for a minute. Turn the TV off. Maybe you will learn something. If not, just remember this web site is free. So get over it 'cause it didn't cost you anything.

Ever wonder what your baseline is with God?

They tell me I am a.d.d. That stands for "attention deficit disorder." It means I have trouble sticking with a project, focusing for long periods of time, sitting still. Geez, I don't need a special set of initials to tell me that. I've been living in this skin for a long time know. Sometimes with God I just.... don't spend as much time with Him as I should. I am an expert at having a "Power Quiet Time." You know what I mean. I can spend an hour alone with God in twelve minutes. Except that it really does not work very well. I know it. God knows it. And those who know me well can tell when I'm spending really quality time with God and when I'm cheating.

I used to be a "type a" personality. That means I was a "driven" kind of guy. I never stopped. To be awake was to be busy. To have a job was to always work. Sleep was something you could do after you die. Well that life style didn't work too well for me and I transformed myself into a solid "type b" personality. Actually I did it with the help of a nasty illness. But if you read this blog often you already know that. I'm much more laid back now. I wouldn't say I'm actually the relaxed type but I'm much closer to it than I used to be.

We all have things in our lives that are working on us. You have a certain temperament. You have passions. You have things you disdain. All of these things help to determine what your life actually "looks like." It makes you ... you. It determines your baseline.

But what about the God factor? What is your base line with God?

Much of my time serving God is spent dealing with schedules, deadlines, instructions, rules and ... guilt. Guilt because I don't always keep the schedule, meet the deadline, follow the instruction and abide by the rules. Are you with me? Can I get an "amen?"

But is that really your God baseline?

I remember a day in May 2002. I was in Minnesota to attend a "Sabbath for Youth Pastor's." I arrived early and checked into the part convent/part retreat center that it was being held at. I was one of the first to show up and there were hours before I had to be anywhere. It was a Monday. I had left home on Friday and had driven to Minneapolis to rest before the Sabbath began. I wanted to spend time with God before I was scheduled to. Turns out this was a very good idea. He honored my efforts and came and loved on me in that little hotel room. After I registered at the retreat center and moved my bags into my room I got back into my rented convertible Sebring and drove a few miles down the road. I parked on an overlook that had a panoramic view of the upper Mississippi River. Trees and water surrounded me. A sailboat was anchored in the middle of the river. The sky was the bluest of blues. The only noise came from rustling leaves and singing birds. The top of the car was down and I sat on the driver’s door with my feet dangling over the edge. Do you know why I remember that moment? Because it was the most relaxed moment I remember experiencing since becoming a full-fledged adult. God showed up on that wide spot in the road. I felt Him. It was as though His hand was on my shoulder, His heart in my chest, His Spirit sharing a special communion with mine. And I realized that I had no worries, no fears, nothing to rush to. My attention was all His. And with that realization came peace. It was the peace that the bible speaks of when it mentions the "peace that passeth all understanding." I do not think I had ever experience that before. Not in this incredibly deep form. I have, blessedly, experienced it several times since. And you know what I think?

That is my baseline with God.

The usual daily stress? The constant battle to be "good enough to please Him?" The war with sin that I too often lose? Those are things similar to the sugar or fat or caffeine that I dump into my body. They give false readings. They mess up who I am supposed to be. They are NOT my baseline. They are deceivers. Their job is to trick me into believing that I am NOT who I really AM.

I am God's kid. He takes an insane amount of joy in me. Because of that I do not have a worry in the world. He counts my hairs, guides my steps, lights my path, watches my back and ordains my days.

Because of Him I can join that old philosopher Alfred E. Neumann...

What? Me worry?

0 comments: