CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stars in the universe

It was the summer of 2001 and Debbie and I were at a pastor’s and wives retreat in the mountains of Colorado. We were so far out in the back country that I don’t think the FBI could have found us. The lodge we were sharing with the three other couples was log cabin style. There was a wonderful host couple that cooked the meals and gave us directions around the area during our free time. And best of all, out on the back deck, overlooking the Crystal River, was a huge Jacuzzi hot tub. Now this is a prescription for rest, relaxation, and encouragement!

I remember one night everybody had gone to bed. The lodge was quiet but I couldn’t sleep. So I slipped into swimming trunks and a t-shirt, snuck out the back door, turned on the hot tub and slid in to liquid heaven. As I sat there I couldn’t help but look up. The only words that I could manage to form in my stunned brains was … “God, YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!” Tens of thousands of stars highlighted the sky from every angle. All day long I had looked at the mountains in all of their splendor. But I have to tell you, those mountains had nothing on those stars. I sat in awe for a very long time just pouring out a heart of gratitude before God.

As I read Philippians tonight that night came to mind. Philippians 2: 15 – 16 says, “… so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life …”

Me? Shine like a star in the universe? You gotta be kidding me. But no, that is what it says. If I live my life to honor the God of heaven and earth, if I live my life without complaining and arguing, I will shine like a star in the universe.

It’s pretty ugly outside tonight. A lot of snow is on the ground. The wind howls through the trees. Lake Erie is a massive sheet of ice. It’s cold. Really cold. And when I look up I see … nothing. Because all that is up there are clouds. You know, it’s easy to be a cloud. Most people live their lives raining on everybody and everything they come in contact with. They drench God’s world with profanities and problems. But you and I do not have to be that way. We can live to honor God. And when we do …

… stars in the universe. That’s God’s kids. That’s us.

Shine, my friend, shine

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful reminder and challenge today. Thank you!